The Polar Vortex is here, and it's no party.
When it's this cold outside, it's easy to say forget it and cancel any and all plans you may have. But don't let the bad weather get you down! There are plenty of fun ways to escape the cold and have a great time with your partner (or first date!). It just takes a bit of creativity and a little forethought to create an unforgettable evening. So grab a cup of tea, wrap up in a warm blanket, and check out this list of five winter date night ideas.
1. Go see a movie at a theater that's connected to a dinner place. This is the best of all possible worlds. As a woman who is constantly freezing, the best winter date night plans require me to be outside as little as possible. If I can go to one place that's connected to another and never have to cross into the winter weather, I'll be happy as a clam. When movie theaters started connecting themselves to restaurants, I couldn't wait for winter to roll around because I already knew that I'd be ready for it. And I am! This is perfect for a first date in the winter time, and it allows couples to get to know each other and then share an experience, a tried-and-true dating method. And for more established couples, you can take the time to catch up on your week and then relax with someone you care about. My favorite movie theater with this set up is the Alamo Drafthouse near me, which has great food and an awesome policy of not allowing people to talk or text during the movie.
2. Sign up for a dance class. Here's a thing about me. I'm obsessed with jazz and swing dancing. Can I do it well? Not really, but I'd love to get better at it. And I'll tell you now, there aren't a lot of great swing dancing tutorials on YouTube. So for my birthday, my husband and I took a swing dancing lesson. And we had an awesome time and learned a lot! That's where this next suggestion came from. Learn something new together, warm up your bones while it's freezing outside, and once you're comfortable, take your moves out on the dance floor and show 'em off!
3. Bake something together. What better time of year to bake and indulge in something sweet than February? You're past the Christmas parties, the Chanukah parties, and the New Year's Eve parties where you'd want to fit into your nicest clothing and look great in photos. You're not yet into spring and summer, where you'd want to wear shorts and bathing suits. So that extra pound or two? Totally worth it. Grab your partner and make your favorite desserts together, decorate them, and eat them in front of a cozy fireplace. You can even come up with a rating system and judge each other's desserts like on The Great British Baking Show. You can be Mary Berry and your partner can be Paul Hollywood!
4. Make yourself a mini holiday. Picture this: the snow is falling and streetlights are shining through the hazy mist as you and your partner are snuggled up on the couch keeping each other warm. If that sounds like perfection to you, then this date night idea will be right up your alley. Sometimes, it really is too cold to go outside and the temptation to cuddle up with someone you love is just too great. If you know in advance that night is coming, do a gift exchange with your partner. Set a budget for each of you, wrap your gifts, and set them up on the table. Then grab some hot chocolate, trade gifts, and watch a holiday movie to have your own little holiday in the middle of February!
5. Go see an opera. Well, you knew this was coming! There are a ton of operas being performed right now around the country, and what better place to get out of the cold than an opera, where you can watch three hours of glorious story-telling and music? Plus, opera houses are usually a piece of art in and of themselves - the architecture is gorgeous and the people-watching is a ton of fun. So grab your coat, leave it at the coat check, and enjoy a sparkling evening out.
Let me know in the comments if you try any of these date night ideas or what your favorite date night is in the winter! If you have any other relationship questions, leave those in the comments too. Keep warm and enjoy your date!
Hey! I'm Abby, the creator of Classically Abby, a commentary, opera, beauty, and lifestyle brand dedicated to looking at the world from a classic perspective. I'm the first Conservative Influencer and I'm an opera singer with three degrees in performance!