As I was coming up with my fashion blog post for this week, I was a little stumped.
It wasn't until I did the hairstyle pictured above (inspired by Milabu, a YouTube hairstylist that I really enjoy) that I realized what I really wanted to share with you all. And that, my lovely friends, is accessories!
Summer clothes are a ton of fun, don't get me wrong, but even the perfect outfit can be elevated with just a few subtle touches. And having these accessories on hand will allow you to mix and match! They are summer staples that you should definitely have in your closet, and they'll make everyone think that you're a stylish lady. And who doesn't want that?
So without further ado, here are my favorite summer accessories.
1. Silk Scarves. The possibilities with scarves are truly endless. You can tie one on the handle of your purse to add a splash of color. You can tie one around your neck in a little knot and look like a fifties Parisenne. You can wear one as a belt. And if you watch the video linked above, you'll see ten ways you can put one in your hair! Honestly, silk scarves are just so inherently feminine. They float in the wind, they can have the most beautiful patterns, and they're so soft to the touch. So having a few on hand to use as an accessory? Always a great idea. Plus, to me, they're perfect for summer - you generally won't wear a silk scarf in the winter.
To try the two scarves I wore, click this Amazon link.
2. Hoop Earrings. I never really wore hoop earrings. It wasn't until I was in a production of Carmen, in which my costume included a pair of giant hoops, that I put them on and absolutely LOVED them. Now, I am an advocate for all hoop earrings - big or small. Smaller hoops are beautiful and dainty, medium hoops are just the right amount of eye-catching, and large hoops are real attention-grabbers. And there's something about wearing hoops in the summertime that is simply fun. They go great with most outfits and give that extra oomph to your look.
3. Bright Nail Polish. Does this count as an accessory? Well, I'm saying that it does! Because ladies, bright nail polish is the best. Having your nails done, generally, makes you look just that extra bit nicer. But wearing a bright color on your nails makes you look like you put thought into your look - and that's always lovely. Don't worry about your bright color clashing with some of your outfits - think of bright colors on your nails as a neutral. They go with anything. Another piece of advice is for those ladies out there who, like me, cannot stand to take twenty or thirty minutes to paint your nails and then immediately ruin them. It is the bane of my existence! I used to get gel manicures, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a great nail salon where I live that doesn't destroy my nails during the removal process. What I've been doing lately is using the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri nail polish. Now, I love this stuff. I do one coat, don't use any topcoat, wait approximately 2 minutes for them to dry, and then go on my merry way! Then if it chips in the next couple of days, I don't really mind because I can go in with a different color or I can take the nail polish off really easily.
4. Layered Bracelets. I'll be honest with you - I love bracelets, but I am terrible about remembering to put them on. I love a good set of bangles, or a really small charm bracelet, or something with little crystals. So why not wear them all together? Because much of the summer we go bare-armed, it's nice to put on a few bracelets and really let them shine. Plus, they'll draw attention to your stunning manicure!
5. Heeled Sandals. Oh, heeled sandals. They are seriously the perfect addition to any summer outfit. I mean, what is a summer outfit without a pair of fancy heeled sandals? You're not about to wear close-toed heels to a wedding in the summer, are you? I'm kidding, of course, but I do think that heeled sandals elevate (literally and figuratively) an everyday summer look into something perfect for evening. You probably don't want to wear heels if you're going on a long walk or something like that, but for a night out or a fancy event? Absolutely! I recommend a nude pair like the ones pictured above which go with just about everything and are super comfortable, as well as a unique pair that will add a bit of flair to your kicks.
6. Layered Necklaces. As a general rule, I like wearing lighter jewelry in the warmer months and heavier jewelry in the colder months. It's similar to wearing lighter makeup when it's hot outside, and darker tones when it's cooler. I'm a huge fan of necklace layering, and I think it's nice to try in the summer because these dainty pieces will look nicer against the skin than they will on fabric. Choose your favorite metal, or mix them! Layering silver, rose gold, and gold necklaces looks beautiful and draws the eye to your neck. Buy necklaces that are already connected, like the ones I linked below, or try mixing a few that you like!
7. Colorful Purse. A colorful purse for the summertime is the perfect finishing touch to your outfit. If you're wearing white and blue stripes like I am in the photo above, any color purse will match! And don't worry about matching your purse to your shoes - I actually recommend you don't do that, so that you don't look matchy-matchy. Choose something that attracts you - your favorite color, or a print you really enjoy!
What are your favorite accessories for summer? Did you like anything on this list? Let me know down in the comments!
*Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click on a link and purchase something. Thank you so much for your support!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
Summer is here and that means it's time to stock up on swimsuits!
Shopping for swimsuits can be frustrating - I generally need quite a bit of coverage on top, however, I need a small band to keep everything in place. Unfortunately, if I get a smaller size to fit my waist, I am usually left with enough fabric to cover about a third of what I would like. I know it sounds like a good problem to have, but let me tell you, it can be a real nuisance!
Now, there are many wonderful companies that cater to women with exactly this problem, and that's great! But in my experience, these products are usually very expensive and sometimes don't even look like bathing suits. They can often end up looking like bras since they have an underwire, adjustable straps, and adjustable band sizing.
So, after years of trying to figure out what my favorite style of bathing suit was, I finally figured it out! The kind of swimsuit that works for me usually has a bandage top - something that fits kind of like a sports bra since I like being held in place. They are super flattering, really comfortable, and more on the modest end of the spectrum. Once I figured this out, I also realized that I could purchase swimsuits for very affordable prices!
All of the swimsuits I've chosen are appropriate for every body type - but they're also great if you have a bigger chest. Now, I tend to like more coverage from my swimsuits, so I've picked three recommendations - two that are one-pieces and one that is a high-waist bikini. I also chose not to model these bathing suits and instead do flat lays - but I can guarantee that they are really flattering.
So let's get into it!
Swimsuit #1: All The Coverage
Get this swimsuit on Amazon here.
This bathing suit is so cool. If you're the kind of person who is looking for sun protection, I think this would be a really good fit for you. But the nice thing about this suit is that it isn't just plain and boring. The print on the back and sides is kind of fun (somewhat reminiscent of old-school Windows 99 backgrounds, am I right?), and the colorful panels end up being really slimming. And the sleeves have thumb-holes! As well, I love the zipper because it can give you more less coverage, and the fabric holds in everything, which is always nice.
Swimsuit #2: Business In Front, Party In Back
Get this swimsuit on Amazon here.
This is my go-to swimsuit for summer. It has so much coverage and hold in the front, which is amazing, and then has the cutest back! And it is truly one of the most flattering one-pieces I've ever worn. Besides the fact that the top is a different pattern from the bottom, which is adorable, the cut of the suit cinches in at your narrowest part. The tie in the back accentuates your waist even further, and the open back with the fun zipper is a fun touch. My only warning is that when you're getting into the bathing suit, either prepare to slip into the top half while it is zipped (which can be tricky) or have a friend or partner help zip you in. But honestly, this suit is so much fun and so adorable, that doesn't even bother me.
Swimsuit #3: Watermelon Heaven
Top Size: S
Bottoms Size: M
So this is a new purchase and I have to say - I'm obsessed. This pattern is SO cute, and the top really holds everything in which makes me so happy! One of the things that helps with that is the adjustable band on the bottom. As you can see in the picture, you can make the band bigger or smaller as necessary. You can also mix and match the bottoms with this bathing suit, so I chose a solid high-waist pair, although you can get matching bottom, too. I also really loved that the back of the top had a unique and interesting cut-out. This bathing suit feels fun and youthful without showing too much skin - which is basically my M.O. when it comes to swimwear.
Did you enjoy this swimsuit haul? Are you excited for summer? Let me know in the comments!
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click on a link and purchase something.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
Hey! I'm Abby, the creator of Classically Abby, a commentary, opera, beauty, and lifestyle brand dedicated to looking at the world from a classic perspective. I'm the first Conservative Influencer and I'm an opera singer with three degrees in performance!