As I was coming up with my fashion blog post for this week, I was a little stumped.
It wasn't until I did the hairstyle pictured above (inspired by Milabu, a YouTube hairstylist that I really enjoy) that I realized what I really wanted to share with you all. And that, my lovely friends, is accessories!
Summer clothes are a ton of fun, don't get me wrong, but even the perfect outfit can be elevated with just a few subtle touches. And having these accessories on hand will allow you to mix and match! They are summer staples that you should definitely have in your closet, and they'll make everyone think that you're a stylish lady. And who doesn't want that?
So without further ado, here are my favorite summer accessories.
1. Silk Scarves. The possibilities with scarves are truly endless. You can tie one on the handle of your purse to add a splash of color. You can tie one around your neck in a little knot and look like a fifties Parisenne. You can wear one as a belt. And if you watch the video linked above, you'll see ten ways you can put one in your hair! Honestly, silk scarves are just so inherently feminine. They float in the wind, they can have the most beautiful patterns, and they're so soft to the touch. So having a few on hand to use as an accessory? Always a great idea. Plus, to me, they're perfect for summer - you generally won't wear a silk scarf in the winter.
To try the two scarves I wore, click this Amazon link.
2. Hoop Earrings. I never really wore hoop earrings. It wasn't until I was in a production of Carmen, in which my costume included a pair of giant hoops, that I put them on and absolutely LOVED them. Now, I am an advocate for all hoop earrings - big or small. Smaller hoops are beautiful and dainty, medium hoops are just the right amount of eye-catching, and large hoops are real attention-grabbers. And there's something about wearing hoops in the summertime that is simply fun. They go great with most outfits and give that extra oomph to your look.
3. Bright Nail Polish. Does this count as an accessory? Well, I'm saying that it does! Because ladies, bright nail polish is the best. Having your nails done, generally, makes you look just that extra bit nicer. But wearing a bright color on your nails makes you look like you put thought into your look - and that's always lovely. Don't worry about your bright color clashing with some of your outfits - think of bright colors on your nails as a neutral. They go with anything. Another piece of advice is for those ladies out there who, like me, cannot stand to take twenty or thirty minutes to paint your nails and then immediately ruin them. It is the bane of my existence! I used to get gel manicures, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a great nail salon where I live that doesn't destroy my nails during the removal process. What I've been doing lately is using the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri nail polish. Now, I love this stuff. I do one coat, don't use any topcoat, wait approximately 2 minutes for them to dry, and then go on my merry way! Then if it chips in the next couple of days, I don't really mind because I can go in with a different color or I can take the nail polish off really easily.
4. Layered Bracelets. I'll be honest with you - I love bracelets, but I am terrible about remembering to put them on. I love a good set of bangles, or a really small charm bracelet, or something with little crystals. So why not wear them all together? Because much of the summer we go bare-armed, it's nice to put on a few bracelets and really let them shine. Plus, they'll draw attention to your stunning manicure!
5. Heeled Sandals. Oh, heeled sandals. They are seriously the perfect addition to any summer outfit. I mean, what is a summer outfit without a pair of fancy heeled sandals? You're not about to wear close-toed heels to a wedding in the summer, are you? I'm kidding, of course, but I do think that heeled sandals elevate (literally and figuratively) an everyday summer look into something perfect for evening. You probably don't want to wear heels if you're going on a long walk or something like that, but for a night out or a fancy event? Absolutely! I recommend a nude pair like the ones pictured above which go with just about everything and are super comfortable, as well as a unique pair that will add a bit of flair to your kicks.
6. Layered Necklaces. As a general rule, I like wearing lighter jewelry in the warmer months and heavier jewelry in the colder months. It's similar to wearing lighter makeup when it's hot outside, and darker tones when it's cooler. I'm a huge fan of necklace layering, and I think it's nice to try in the summer because these dainty pieces will look nicer against the skin than they will on fabric. Choose your favorite metal, or mix them! Layering silver, rose gold, and gold necklaces looks beautiful and draws the eye to your neck. Buy necklaces that are already connected, like the ones I linked below, or try mixing a few that you like!
7. Colorful Purse. A colorful purse for the summertime is the perfect finishing touch to your outfit. If you're wearing white and blue stripes like I am in the photo above, any color purse will match! And don't worry about matching your purse to your shoes - I actually recommend you don't do that, so that you don't look matchy-matchy. Choose something that attracts you - your favorite color, or a print you really enjoy!
What are your favorite accessories for summer? Did you like anything on this list? Let me know down in the comments!
*Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click on a link and purchase something. Thank you so much for your support!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...